If family cycling trips are in your future, you would be wise to choose your destination carefully. Destinations that may have appealed to you as a young, sporty couple might not work well with youngsters in tow. In addition to the terrain, you should also consider the additional costs incurred by adding one (or two, or even three) extra people. But don’t let these potential drawbacks stop you from taking what could be the trip of a lifetime!
Family bike trips are a surefire way to create lifelong memories. You work hard, so now it is time to play hard – and why not include the kids in the fun? Family cycling holidays are a fantastic way for active families to explore the world. If you choose your destination wisely, you will find an abundance of activities and cycling terrains that are adaptable for all ages.
Family Cycling Top Trips
For a free legal consultation,
1. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Philadelphia is a fantastic cycling destination that adds a whopping does of history, culture, and art to the mix. One hundred rail trails feature over 1,000 miles of biking, and the paths will take you through the city and well out into the surrounding towns. Kids will be thrilled to visit the Please Touch Museum and don’t forget to visit the Ben Franklin Bridge and the Liberty Bell.
2. Minneapolis, Minnesota – Bike trails abound in Minneapolis, and many are designed for all levels of cyclists. Take a day trip to the Theodore Wirth Regional Park and explore the 760-acre retreat. There are numerous cycling and walking trails in the park, and plenty of scenery to please. A paved railway corridor, the midtown greenway, lets you travel across the city and, as a bonus, it’s lit and heavily trafficked at night. Families will enjoy the Mall of America and the great science museum.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
3. San Diego, California – If you’re looking for beautiful weather, you can’t do much better than San Diego. The boardwalk offers a beautiful oceanfront ride with views of Navy ships and tuna boats. Check out the USS Midway aircraft carrier for a fun side adventure. Or take a ferry ride to the Island of Coronado and ride the 8.5 mile Silver Strand. If time allows, take the kids to Legoland!
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
4. Cape Cod, Massachusetts – If your goal is to get away from it all while you enjoy a family cycling vacation, you can’t do much better than Cape Cod. The 25-mile Cape Cod Rail Trail is a popular bikeway that explores the local scenery. Stop for an ice cream or a snack along the way as you ride through six Cape Cod towns. Area facilities offer horseback riding if the kids want to try something new.
5. Black Hills, South Dakota – If your family is more into mountain biking, you can’t beat Black Hills, South Dakota. This trip is best for older children (think teenagers) as most trails are long and can get intense. But some, like the George S. Mickelson Trail have a number of trailheads so you can jump on and off, depending on the endurance and fitness levels of your group. Kids will enjoy the Dakota Discovery Museum and Holy Terror Mini Golf Course.
6. Zion National Park, Utah – Zion National Park is closed to cars, so it’s a safe place for cyclists of all ages to explore. Note that in some areas cycling groups are limited to six cyclists or less, so if you have a large family or multiple families you will need to ride as separate groups. You will see amazing scenery and spectacular views of rugged mountain sides, cliffs, and waterways. Kids and adults alike will enjoy a drive through the Zion to Mt. Carmel Highway Tunnel. At one point this was the longest tunnel ever constructed.
No matter where you choose to take your family for your cycling holiday, you are sure to have a blast! Just remember that even when riding on trails and side streets, you should wear bicycle helmets and follow safety precautions. Bicycle crashes do happen, and injuries can be devastating. If you or a family member have been hurt in a bicycle crash and the insurance company isn’t offering a fair settlement, contact the attorneys at Kass & Moses for experienced help with your situation.