Summer is a great time to ride your bicycle. Warm, sunny days and extended hours of sunlight make long hours on the bike a welcome retreat. As bicycle injury lawyers and bicyclists ourselves, we understand that summer biking also brings some unique dangers.
Here are some safety tips to consider when riding your bicycle this summer:
- Remain properly hydrated. Good hydration doesn’t just mean carrying along a Nalgene bottle full of water. Proper hydration begins before you get on your bike. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids and steer clear of sodas, coffee, and alcoholic beverages when possible.
- Wear a helmet. Summer means high temperatures and humidity, and you may be tempted to go without a helmet. Remember, however, that helmets are not optional equipment. Fortunately, they have come a long way, and new helmets are lightweight and allow some air to circulate. Make sure your helmet fits properly!
- Keep your ears open. Skip the tunes and enjoy the sounds of nature. Or, if you must listen to music, invest in ‘earphones’ that conduct sound through your bones and leave your ears open. It is important to be able to hear oncoming traffic, either from other bicyclists or from vehicles.
- Keep your eyes open, too. Avoid temptation to answer that text or phone call. Remember, your eyes should be focused on your surroundings at all times – not on your cell phone or iPod.
- Wear bright clothing. It is important to be seen when you are on the road. Wear bright, comfortable clothing.
- Make sure your bike is in good repair. There is nothing worse than having your bike break down far from home. Make sure your tires are properly inflated, your chain is oiled, and your brakes are working well.
For a free legal consultation,
As always, enjoy yourself! Whether you are biking through your neighborhood, the park, or even the beach, summer makes for a beautiful ride. Exercise proper caution, and should you find yourself the victim of a bicycle crash, contact the experienced bike injury attorneys at Kass & Moses.