Have you been making excuses instead of riding your bike? Are you full of excuses to NOT make it happen? Well, we’ve got all the reasons to take your bike out for a nice ride today!
Here are our rebuttals to five common excuses:
- I’m too out of shape! Lucky for you, then, because bike riding is an excellent exercise for people of any fitness level. Bicycling at a moderate intensity burns over 500 calories per hour. Bike for an hour a day for a week and you will have burnt off one pound of fat! If you are feeling out of shape, bicycle on flat terrain and start out with short distances.
- It’s dangerous! Read this excellent explanation why riding a bicycle is actually SAFER than driving in a car! Yes, riding on a main road can be intimidating, so if you feel more comfortable, stick to side roads and communities with less traffic. Wear bright colors and use a reflector on your bicycle. Be aware of the traffic laws and bicycle laws for your state and obey them.
- My bike is old, not good enough, or worn out. Sure, everyone loves to drool over the new, super-spiffy, aerodynamic bikes, but your bike can still get you where you want to go! Take it out, dust it off, and give it a once-over. Better yet, take it in to your local bicycle shop. They can make sure it is safe to ride and advise you of a few improvements you can make.
- It’s too hot/it’s too cold/it’s going to rain. We’d all love to ride in 70 degree weather all year long, but most of us will encounter some foul weather every now and then. If chilly, dress in layers. They can easily be removed if you get warm during your ride. If you are worried about getting too hot on a warm day, dress in lightweight, cotton clothing. You can even purchase neckwraps and shirts that are made to keep you cool. And rain- the nemesis of all bicyclists! Don’t let it keep you from riding! Bring a lightweight plastic poncho along in case of a downpour. If it’s just sprinkling, a lightweight jacket may be a better choice.
- I’m too busy and can’t find the time. A 30-minute bike ride represents just 2 percent of your time in a 24-hour period. Exercise is essential to your physical and even emotional wellbeing. If you are a parent, you can include your kids as well, and make biking a family event. A bike ride during your lunch break can be a refreshing change from fast food, too!
No more excuses- get your bike out and go for a ride today! Enjoy the weather, fresh air, and beautiful colors of spring all around you. Be aware of your surroundings and stay safe. As bicycle attorneys, we represent the interests of bicyclists who are injured in accidents. Remember the attorneys who put you first, and contact us should you ever be harmed while riding. Call us at 844-BICYCLE!