Our nation faces an obesity epidemic of increasing proportions. Thousands of individuals are turning to fad, often unhealthy diets in an effort to take off the weight. Studies have shown, however, that biking is one of the most effective ways to lose weight.
Here are some of the top reasons why biking is excellent for weight loss:
- You can burn as many as 600 calories in a 30-minute session alone! Take a daily 30-minute bike ride and you can easily lose a pound a week without ever changing your diet.
- Riding a bike is a relatively low-cost fitness activity. Gym memberships result in recurrent monthly charges and long-term commitments. Bicycle costs range widely, however a decent bicycle is often less than a few hundred dollars.
- Cycling exercises all of the major muscle groups. This means that as you bike, your entire body becomes more physically fit. You will increase in strength and endurance and be able to bike longer distances with fewer breaks.
- Compared to running and evening walking, bicycling is relatively gentle on the joints. This is especially important for individuals who may not be used to exercise. In addition, regular biking will increase the range of motion of your joints as well as joint lubrication.
- Biking is an exercise that is flexible, and can be done in many locations. Feeling a little tired today? Take an easy bike through the park. Up for a little more? Go mountain biking or hit some more difficult terrain. In addition, these changing locations create a change in scenery which may encourage you to exercise more regularly.
- Want to exercise alone or prefer a group? With cycling, either way works! Bike by yourself through your neighborhood or join one one many biking groups throughout the United States. These groups generally have members of all different ability levels, so don’t be intimidated!
- Prefer the indoors? No problem! You can purchase a bike trainer stand that allows you to use your bicycle inside, or simply use an exercise bike. Many people find this alternative especially appealing at times when pollen or rain make biking outdoors a challenge. It’s also beneficial if you prefer biking during the evening hours, when it may be too dark to bike safely outdoors.
- Enjoy the benefits of healthy eating! Many individuals report that they crave healthy snacks after biking. Use these cravings to your benefit! Pack simple snacks like fresh or dried fruits or nuts.
Biking is an excellent exercise for anyone, from young to old. Hit the roads, grab a helmet, and practice safe biking! If an accident does occur, contact the bicycle crash attorneys at Kass & Moses!
The post Biking Leads to Successful Weight Loss – 8 Reasons Why appeared first on Bicycle Accident Lawyers.