Over 500 communities have adopted bike-sharing programs, many in the past few years. The phenomenon is taking over the globe, and is leaving many wondering why the success? The bike-sharing programs offer a convenient, affordable alternative transportation for hundreds of thousands of individuals.
Bike-sharing benefits individuals and the community by:
- Supporting an ecologically-friendly transportation alternative. Bike-sharing programs encourage the use of bicycles for errands, visits to the city, or even commuting. What begins as a single trip or two may encourage users to bike more frequently.
- Bike-sharing increases tourism. How often have you visited a new city, only to feel overwhelmed by their transportation system? Bike-sharing programs are easy to use, even for newcomers, and offer an inexpensive and stress-free alternative to navigating a new transportation system.
- Exercise and bike riding promote happiness and health throughout the community. Riding a bicycle is a healthy exercise that is easy for individuals of any fitness level.
- Bike-sharing stops are conveniently located throughout the city, encouraging users to venture into areas they may have otherwise missed. Some cities place bike stations in areas of the city they wish to promote.
- Bike-sharing programs are economical for even small cities. They can be started on a small scale and can grow with the community. Membership fees can be kept to reasonable levels, encouraging growth.
- These programs bring bikers and the sport of cycling into the community. Numerous communities have noted an increase in cyclists after starting these programs and implementing changes to allow bikers to access roadways safely.
- Programs such as Seattle’s Pronto Bike Share also allow for corporate accounts. Businesses can then add membership to the bike-share program to their list of benefits.
As cyclishttps://www.seattle.gov/transportation/projects-and-programs/programs/bike-program/bike-sharets and bike injury attorneys, we promote cycling at every opportunity. We believe these bike-sharing programs will continue to grow and multiply as communities and individuals realize the benefits!
As usual, ride safely, and if you are involved in a bicycle accident, call upon our team of devoted cyclists and bicycle injury attorneys for a free consultation.