Bicycle safety lights are an important addition to any bike, especially if you plan on biking at night. Without lights, it’s nearly impossible to be seen at night, even with reflectors. If you cannot be seen, you can easily be struck by a motorist or even another cyclist. Bike lights are generally inexpensive, and can be the difference between being seen and being struck.
Different Features of Bicycle Safety Lights
- Flashing lights – Flashing lights draw extra attention by flashing intermittently to alert others you are nearby. These lights can be seen at a distance, many advertising the fact that they can be seen up to a mile away.
- Weatherproof – Many bicycle lights are weather resistant or even weather-proof. This is important, especially if you bike in bad weather conditions or park your bicycle outside.
- Long-lasting – Bicycle lights are battery-powered, so it’s important to choose a light that will not eat through batteries quickly. After all, bicycle safety lights cannot keep you safe if the batteries have run out. Most lights do advertise the length of battery life. Consider finding a light that lasts for 100 hours or more.
- Portability and multi-functionality – Some bicycle lights come with a Velcro closure or a clip and can be used for other sports, like walking or running. If you choose to use your light for other activities, choose one that is built for multi-functionality and even attachment to a dog collar, like the Kootek LED Safety Light.
- A variety of colors – Red lights attract attention, but can also blend in with other lights on the roads. Many bicycle safety lights allow you to choose from a variety of colors, like yellow, red, green, and blue.
- Different mounts – Different mounts are made to fit on your bicycle, helmet, or gear. Consider which mount works best for your bike and visibility. Some riders choose to purchase a couple of lights for added safety, and the lights themselves are often sold in packs of two or three.
Bicycle safety at night begins with a proper light. Sites like Amazon.com and Dicks Sporting Goods will allow you to review hundreds of ratings from other cyclists. This will allow you to consider the quality of a light based on the opinions of many other cyclists, just like yourself.
Of course, please be sure to follow proper rules of the road for safe cycling. Especially when riding at night, you should ride carefully and be alert around intersections. Be sure you are seen by using bright, reflective gear and clothing in addition to using bicycle safety lights.
For a free legal consultation,
At Kass & Moses, we believe that proper safety measures will prevent many cycling crashes. We urge all cyclists to use appropriate gear, and to do their homework to determine which gear is best for your bike. If you ARE involved in a bicycle crash, contact an experienced cyclist and bicycle crash attorney at Kass & Moses today!