More and more commuters are choosing bicycles as their transportation of choice and for great reason. Bicycles have proven to contribute to health by lowering BMI, decreasing the risk of developing disease, and improving overall fitness levels. But did you realize that bicycle commuting has been shown to improve employee performance?
Studies have shown that:
- Employee productivity is raised by 15 percent when an employee bicycles prior to beginning work.
- Cyclists take 15 percent fewer sick days. Bicycling has been shown to promote health, and bicyclists who ride regularly live an average of two years longer than those who do not.
- A study in the UK showed that English businesses would save £13 billion in decreased sick days and boosted productivity by installing facilities to make it easier for individuals to bike to work and throughout the community.
- Physically fit employees have been shown to be 47 percent more likely to report that they are alert at work, have a good rapport with fellow employees, and enjoy their jobs.
- Healthy and fit workers commit 27 percent less errors on work requiring concentration and commitment of information to memory than their non-fit peers.
- A study performed by the National Institutes of Health has shown that individuals who commute via bicycle have better levels of mental health.
As these and other studies have shown, the benefits of cycling are tremendous. Employers who encourage employees to commute via bicycle are sure to reap these rewards, both through increased productivity and improved worker satisfaction levels. Employers can offer financial incentives for biking to work, like participating in the Bicycle Commuter Act. They can also install safe parking facilities for bicycle commuters. If possible, employers can provide shower facilities and lockers for employees who may want to change and freshen up before beginning their work day. Finally, employers can work together with local bicycle shops and vendors to provide a small discount for employees. These added incentives can create a welcoming, supportive environment for employee who choose to commute via bicycle.
For a free legal consultation,
At Kass & Moses, we are a law firm of bicycle accident attorneys who are also bicyclists. We encourage businesses throughout the country to support bicycle commuters. The difference in employee morale and fitness levels is so with the minimal costs.
How does your employer support your decision to commute to work?
The post Bicycle Commuting Improves Employee Performance: Here’s the Data appeared first on Bicycle Accident Lawyers.