As motorcycle injury attorneys, we stay abreast of the various motorcycle laws throughout the country. Most are common sense laws that promote safety and prevent accidents. But some of these laws leave us scratching our heads.
Check out this list of unusual motorcycle laws!
- In London, Kentucky, it is illegal to have sex on a parked motorcycle. I wonder if it is legal if the motorcycle is in motion???
- Numerous states and localities ban extremely loud motorcycles. In most cases, the noise levels are restricted based on the year and model of the motorcycle. 92 decibels is the limit in many cases.
- Eager to dress up for Halloween and take a ride? In several states it is illegal to ride a motorcycle while in costume or while wearing a mask.
- In British Columbia, motorcyclists can avoid wearing a helmet if they wear a turban. No word on how much protection the turban offers in an accident!
- In several states and localities, it is legal to run red lights on a motorcycle! But before you race through the reds, keep in mind that in most cases you must still treat the light as a stop sign and come to a complete stop and yield to any other traffic. It seems this law was drafted to account for traffic light sensors that may not be able to detect motorcycles.
- In Indonesia, female passengers are prohibited from holding onto the driver, and cannot ride astride the motorcycle. Apparently they are allowed to straddle it when driving, however.
- In Adelaide, Australia, members of motorcycle organizations may not operate a tattoo parlor.
Obey All Laws!
As motorcycle accident attorneys, we know all too well what happens when people fail to obey the laws. We encourage all riders to obey the law whenever riding, for their own safety and the safety of others. And yes, this even applies to the laws that make us chuckle, like those listed above. Stay safe, and if you ever are in a crash, contact the motorcycle lawyers who are bikers, too, at Kass & Moses.