When it comes to riding a motorcycle, autumn can’t be beat. The dog days of summer give way to crisp, cool mornings and sunny afternoons as the scenery shifts from dark green to reds, oranges, and yellows on the horizon. Truly, a fall day is best experienced on a motorcycle. The best fall rides for motorcyclists may be right down the road or may be across the country. Whether you enjoy these rides on a quick jaunt on a cool October day or a week-long trek across the country, you’re sure to be pleased.
1. Blue Ridge Parkway – Explore the rolling, winding roads that span the Shenandoah Mountains in Virginia and North Carolina. Purported to be one of the best motorcycle routes in the country, the parkway lights up like a Christmas tree when fall causes an abundance of colors. There are numerous scenic overlooks which give you plenty of opportunities to stretch, relax, and take some gorgeous photos to share with your envious friends. Hungry along the way? You’ll find a number of scenic picnic sites and restaurants nearby. The maximum speed is 45 miles per hour, and misty and rainy conditions can create slick roads, especially when the leaves begin to fall. Be sure to check out the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke, the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, and the nearby Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson dealership.
For a free legal consultation,
2. Lake Tahoe – Lake Tahoe is more than just water sports and skiing. The late summer gives way to a cornucopia of color when fall strikes. Check out the 72 mile Most Beautiful Drive in America to check out our nation in all its splendor. This route circles the 22 mile long, 12 mile wide Lake Tahoe and allows visitors to take in the beauty of the Lake combined with nature’s fall abundance. Numerous shops and restaurants as well as tourist activities abound. If you want to park the bike and take a hike, there are plenty of opportunities for that, as well. Be sure to check out the Tahoe Maritime Museum, Tahoe Science Center, and the Emerald Bay Lookout (one of the most photographed locations in the country).
3. Vermont Maple Trail – Few trees explode into fireworks of color like Vermont maple trees. Their vibrant reds, golds, and oranges highlight this drive. If you are a fan of adult beverages, this is the ride for you. Check out the Harpoon Brewery for a fresh pint, of the SILO distillery. Still up for more? Visit Vermont Spirits and check out the distillery tasting room. Another great stop is the Green Mountain Sugar House which allows visitors to explore the process of making maple syrup. Pick up a jug while you are there and relive the memories with each stack of pancakes.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
4. Tunnel of Trees – One of the most scenic roads in the country, the Tunnel of Trees really comes to life in the fall. The narrow roads and trees just inches from the roadway mean you must pay attention during this ride, but the vibrant colors should certainly keep you awake. There aren’t pullovers, so this isn’t a ride to enjoy making stops along the way, but if you’re looking for pure autumn colors, this is the place to go.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
5. Skyline Drive – When it comes to majestic beauty, the mountains of Virginia are hard to beat. This 105 mile stretch of scenery offers plenty of lookout points and ample areas to have a picnic and enjoy the views. Enjoy the pleasant temperatures and take in some of the festivals that abound in local communities. Stop at a pumpkin patch or farm along the way and explore a corn maze. And for some memorable fun, visit one of the nearby wineries and take home a bottle (just remember to not drink before you ride). Skyline Drive is well maintained and the roads are wide enough to ride comfortably.
No matter which route you choose to travel this fall, the team at Kass & Moses encourage you to ride safely. Leaves on the road can result in slick surfaces and loss of control. Slow down and ride cautiously, and enjoy the scenery around you. Check out our Facebook page to learn about other great motorcycle venues where you can see our nation’s beauty.