It’s the season for motorcycle road trips! Hit the trail with a plan in mind, or just a general direction, and ride for hours! Before you strap on your gear, here are a few essentials to take along for the ride.
Here’s what you must bring:
- A map – Yes, online maps are great, but if you venture off into less travelled areas, you may find your cell phone reception is spotty, at best. That’s when your map will come in handy! Even if you know the area well, with a map you can navigate around traffic or venture to rural areas.
- Cash – Credit cards are universal… mostly. But some remote areas still may not take you card. This is especially true of Mom and Pop gas stations and diners. It’s always good to keep a little cash on hand, no matter what the need.
- Tool Kit – I don’t care how great your bike is- eventually, it WILL let you down. This is inevitable. And even if your bike has supernatural powers, you may come across a brother or sister in need of assistance. Keep a tool kit on hand, always.
- A spare pair of gloves – I remember my first long ride. I had a little worn area in my gloves. By a couple hours into the ride, it had cut into my hand. I’m not a whiner, but I sure was happy my buddy had a spare pair of gloves. You never know when you might need a pair!
- A headlamp – Again, it’s inevitable that you will eventually break down. Or maybe you’ll come to the aid of someone else. Perhaps you will need to check out that map that you will have packed away (since you followed this list so well!). A headlamp is great to have for these and many other situations that might pop up. It’s important to be able to see at night, and headlamps are cheap and effective.
- Flares – Scoff if you must, but remember- there are many people driving who just don’t pay much attention to the roads. Whether they are distracted by their cell phones, eating, drinking, or just not paying attention, the roads are dangerous. When you break down or stop to render aid to someone in need, it’s great to have a couple flares on hand. They will alert oncoming traffic of your presence, and may just keep you safe!
These few items take up little space, but will help you travel assured in the knowledge that you are prepared for most situations. As motorcycle attorneys, our team at Kass & Moses believe in being prepared for all that life may through your way. If ever you are in an accident, contact Kass & Moses to help you through!