Two goals of your motorcycle accident lawyer should be to help you get the medical care you need to recover and to help you obtain just compensation for your injuries. How much you recover is based in large part upon the nature of your injuries, your medical treatment and the amount of your medical bills.
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, take your medical care very seriously. To protect your health and ensure that you maximize your recovery, do the following:
- Get medical treatment immediately: Don’t wait until the following day(s) to get medical treatment. Obtain medical care the day of the accident.
- When consulting with medical staff, report all your injuries and ailments. This is not the time to “tough it out.” If you don’t report an injury around the proximate time of the accident, it will be much harder to recover for it later.
- Gaps in treatment: a major issue for insurance adjusters is to demonstrate that there was a large gap in treatment – for example, you went to the emergency room on the date of the accident but did not see another provider for your injuries for another two months. The longer you go between medical appointments the harder it is to tie your injuries to the subject accident.
- Photographs: if you suffered road rash, bruising or have other visible injuries, take photographs immediately. In a personal injury lawsuit, a picture really does tell a thousand words.
- Use your health insurance: some medical providers (often ambulance companies) will refuse to accept health insurance if you were injured as a result of the accident. Insist that they accept your insurance. If they refuse, have them contact your motorcycle accident lawyer. They may be able to arrange alternative payment solutions.
- Pay your bills: even though you were injured by a third party, your medical bills are ultimately your responsibility – don’t let them go to collections. When you receive a bill, contact your motorcycle accident lawyer. He/she will contact the medical provider on your behalf to get them to delay collection of your outstanding balance or to arrange a nominal payment to keep the account from going to collections.
If you were the victim of a motorcycle accident, contact the motorcycle accident lawyers at Kass & Moses. We can help you get the medical attention you need and will work to obtain the compensation you deserve.