As motorcycle personal injury attorneys, we often see the worst of what can happen in motorcycle accidents. That is why we work diligently to promote motorcycle safety. We love the open road just as much as anyone, but we know that riding can be dangerous.
Nighttime riding can be particularly hazardous. Follow these tips whenever riding at night:
- Ensure that your gear is reflective. Reflective or fluorescent strips or patches on your gear, helmet, and jacket make you easier to see and identify.
- Maintain your headlights! Adjust your headlights so they shine appropriately on the road ahead of you. Proper positioning is slightly towards the ground, but not pointing straight down. Do not point the headlights straight ahead either, or you will not be able to see possible road hazards. Also, clean your headlights thoroughly on a regular basis. Consider purchasing halogen or even LED lights for extra visibility.
- Monitor the roadway ahead of your for signs of wildlife. Deer, possum, and other animals are prone to cross the road during the evening hours. Watch for the reflection of light in their eyes.
- Defensive driving is a must! Be on the lookout for impaired or distracted drivers.
- Have your vision checked regularly, and wear glasses or contact lenses if your vision is impaired. Focusing can be even more difficult at night when your eyes must adjust repeatedly to varying degrees of light.
- Be sure to signal appropriately, well in advance of stopping or turning.
Follow these safety precautions whenever you ride at night! And remember, if you are ever in an accident, call upon the experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at Kass & Moses.