Need another reason to wear a helmet? A 2015 study published in the Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery indicates that mandatory helmet laws would save thousands of lives and approximately 2.2 billion dollars per year!
In 2010, there were 3,951 fatal motorcycle accidents in the United States. Thirty-seven percent of these riders were not helmeted, and these riders made up 69 percent of the fatalities. The investigators considered the direct costs associated with bikers not wearing helmets and found that they result in a staggering 2.2 billion dollars annually.
Reasons to Wear a Helmet Include:
- Survival statistics of motorcyclists wearing helmets are far better than those without helmets.
- Of bikers who survive, those who wore helmets have a far greater chance of recovering more completely from the crash.
- Bikers who wear helmets are protected from road debris that can fly up and cause facial injuries. These tiny rocks and bits of debris can easily shatter a windshield- so imagine what they can do to your face!
- It’s the law in many states! The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports that 19 states plus the District of Columbia have universal helmet laws in place. Twenty-eight other states have helmet laws that apply in some situations. Only three states do not currently have any helmet laws in place (Illinois, Iowa, and New Hampshire).
- Helmets can be easily replaced- your brain cannot! Riding without a helmet leaves you at greater risk for traumatic brain injury in the event of a crash. Broken bones and abrasions heal with time, but the brain may never fully recover from the jarring impact of a collision.
For a free legal consultation,
As motorcycle crash lawyers and bikers ourselves, we understand that you just want to ride and enjoy your freedom. But not wearing a helmet puts you at extreme risk of head trauma in the event of a crash. Even though you may feel confident in your own riding abilities, consider that it only takes one bad driver to result in a major crash. Don’t take chances with your brain!
Mandatory helmet laws would save not just billions of dollars, but thousands of lives! Ride safe, wear a helmet, and if you are involved in an accident, contact the biker attorneys today.
Call or text 1-800-414-5196 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form