If you’re asking how to paint your motorcycle rims you may be looking for ways to customize your bike to match your particular style. One easy way to do this is to paint the motorcycle rims. This is a great task for motorcycle fans, even those who are not that mechanically inclined, as it is easy and will result in a great look. Unfortunately, you cannot paint your motorcycle rims without taking them off but that is probably the most difficult part of this simple customization project.
Paint Your Motorcycle Rims- Step by Step Guide
1. Remove the rims from your motorcycle and find a clear area to paint your rims. Lay out newspapers, torn open paper bags, or a tarp in order to prevent a mess. Gather your supplies so they are close at hand.
2. Using a paintbrush, apply aircraft stripper to the rims. Then use a soft rag to wipe away the loosened paint. Repeat this process until all the paint has been removed.
3. Using a fresh rag, wipe the rim with mineral spirits. This will remove any leftover residue and prepare the rim to accept paint.
4. If there are areas of the rim that you do not want to paint, mark them off with painters’ tape.
For a free legal consultation,
5. Spray a thin coat of primer over the surface of the rim and allow it to dry. Use WET 1000 grit sandpaper and rub down any areas of imperfection in the paint. Repeat the priming process and again use the sandpaper. You may have to do this several times before you are happy with the results.
6. Spray a coat of colored paint of your choice on the surface of the rim until covered. Allow it to dry before using WET 1500 grit sandpaper to rub away any bubbles. Repeat this process with the second coat of paint and remove any bubbles again.
7. Spray a clear coat over the rim and allow it to dry. Use WET 2000 grit sandpaper to clear away any bubbles or imperfections and repeat this process several times, allowing to dry each time. You should be left with a smooth, shiny surface.
8. Once completely dry, remove the painter’s tape and admire your work. Finally, use a soft, clean cloth and scratch removal wax to protect the shine of the rim. Replace the rim and smile in awe of your new look.
Easy tasks like painting your motorcycle rims allows you to customize your bike on your own, without spending an arm and a leg. Don’t settle for a bike that isn’t your style- take the time to customize it to your liking!
Now that you are riding in style, take a moment to read about how to reduce the risk of being injured while riding a motorcycle.