Perhaps you have not yet prepared your motorcycle for winter. Maybe the unseasonably warm temperatures have tempted you to skip winterization. Or perhaps you’ve just tried to avoid the inevitable. Whatever the reason, don’t put it off any longer! Take the time to prepare your ride for the spring with these simple tips.
- Wash your bike thoroughly. Take the time to get rid of the dead bugs and grime that has accumulated over time. Don’t forget the wax- it will serve as a barrier against rust and moisture.
- Change the oil and filter. It’s better for your bike to have clean, fresh oil inside it than to have dirty oil in it for months at a time.
- Take the time to lubricate all moving parts. Don’t forget the controls, fork substances, chain drive, and cables.
- Remember to add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, and top off the tank. That will prevent moisture from building up inside your fuel tank. The stabilizer will prevent gas from getting gummy and prevent any rusting.
- Don’t neglect the battery. Either disconnect it and remove it from the bike or connect it to a battery tender for the winter months.
- Protect your tires by using motorcycle stands. Without them, tires could develop flat spots. If you do not have motorcycle stands, put some plywood or carpet under your tires to prevent any moisture from building up.
- Make sure you have anti-freeze in your coolant system! This is a big one. If you leave water in your coolant system, you may have a cracked head when spring rolls around.
- Mice and small rodents often crawl inside exhaust pipes to try to get away from the cold. Use an exhaust plug or even wad up some plastic bags and stuff them in the exhaust.
- You’re almost done! Invest in a quality cover, even if you are keeping the motorcycle inside. It will prevent dust and moisture from building up.
- If you choose to keep your bike outside, get a quality lock and chain to help deter anyone from stealing it.
For a free legal consultation,
By following these simple preparations, your motorcycle will be ready for you when spring rolls around. As motorcycle lawyers, we take pride in our rides and realize that you do as well. If ever your bike is damaged in an accident, call the attorneys with experience handling motorcycle cases.