What if the other driver is uninsured?

POSTED BY Andrew Kass||

If you have an automobile policy, you will be covered by your Uninsured Motorist/Under-Insured Motorist (UM/UIM) policy. This means that if you have a collision with an uninsured or under-insured vehicle, you may obtain compensation directly from your own policy as if the other driver had insurance or had sufficient insurance. You will be limited to the coverage amounts available in your own policy. This is why it is very important to purchase high limits on your auto policy.

In the event you must trigger this part of your coverage, your own insurance company in effect becomes your adversary, since you are attempting to have them pay you for your injury and loss. This is coverage YOU purchased and should feel no hesitation to use. Our team of lawyers have given many presentation on educating cyclists and bikers to get the right insurance coverage . As the laws vary from state to state it is important to speak to an experienced bicycle lawyer regarding what coverage may be applicable to you.  Please feel free to call for a free consultation. It is better to know you have the right coverage BEFORE a collision occurs!