Anyone who rides a motorcycle knows that it comes with a degree of risk. As much as we love to feel the freedom of the road, the power of the motorcycle, and the thrill of riding, most bikers know that crashes can and do occur. Just ask these 8 famous individuals who were involved in motorcycle crashes.
- Billy Joel – The “Piano Man” himself crashed his motorcycle in Long Island. He was hospitalized for surgery, and it is rumored at the phone lines at the hospital were jammed with calls from fans checking on him. His left thumb and right wrist were injured in the crash, injuries that could have been devastating for his career.
- Bob Dylan – Another musician involved in a motorcycle crash, Dylan was in a severe accident in 1966 and almost lost his life. Though details of the crash are sketchy, it reportedly took months for him to recover.
- Steven Tyler – Aerosmith rocker Steven Tyler experienced an excruciating heel injury when he crashed his bike in 1981. He was on his way to pick up his daughter from babysitting, and some speculate he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- Anthony Kiedis – Red Hot Chili Peppers front-man Anthony Kiedis required five hours of surgery for a shattered wrist and forearm after his crash. Kiedis shares that a driver made a U-turn unexpectedly, causing the collision. As a result of his injuries, Kiedis was prescribed painkillers, which may have contributed to his drug relapse.
- Gary Busey – Having campaigned strongly against helmet laws, it should come as no surprise that Busey was not wearing a helmet when he was in a motorcycle crash in 1988. He underwent surgery for two blood clots on the brain. Despite initially continuing to fight against helmet laws, more recently Busey has changed his stance. He now says, “If you don’t wear a helmet, you’re not playing with a full deck. When the odds finally catch up with you, fate will steal your life and the hearts of everyone who loves you.”
- Eric Estrada – Everybody’s favorite motorcycle cop, Eric Estrada from CHiPs crashed during production of the show. When he suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung, crafty writers included it in the story on the show.
- Keanu Reeves – The famous actor has a long scar down his abdomen – the remnants of a motorcycle crash that ruptured his spleen. Reeves states that he felt he was going to die when he lost control while taking a hairpin turn at about 50 mph. He has had other crashes since.
- George Clooney – Clooney was recently involved in a motorcycle crash in Italy. His injuries were relatively minor after his scooter was struck by a car, and he was able to return him to his bride and newborn twins to recover.
For a free legal consultation,
When these famous individuals crashed their bikes, they faced medical bills, pain and suffering, and time off work, just like you or I might. But they have tremendous resources to support them during those down-times. Most of us do not have the luxury. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash, you need to receive fair and just compensation for your injuries. These funds are used to pay your medical bills, but also to compensate you for your pain and suffering. Call us at 1-800-MOTORCYCLE to learn more about how we can help you get back on the road to freedom.