I was in an accident - what should I do?

POSTED BY Andrew Kass||

The first thing you always want to do is get medical attention. Also, make sure the police are called. It is important that there is a complete police report for several reasons. First, it is important that information is collected from all the parties and witnesses to the collision. Second, although the at-fault party may feel terrible and apologetic at the scene, people tend to want to change their mind once they fear repercussions from the insurance carrier; so it is nice to have them provide a statement to the police officer. If they later decide to change their story, it will appear less credible.

Make sure you seek medical treatment, even if you feel okay. Many times in motorcycle accidents, the adrenaline is pumping so hard that your body masks your true injury. Also, it is possible you have sustained a head injury without realizing it. So it is important to document that you were concerned enough about your injuries to seek medical attention.

Do’s and Don’ts

One of the first things our firm does when we commence representation is conduct a thorough investigation of all the facts and circumstances of your collision. Accordingly, never throw anything related to your collision away, such as blood stained clothes, damaged helmet, cell phone, etc. Further, never give a recorded statement to an investigator or insurance agent without first speaking with a lawyer. Only speak about your collision to your family and doctors. Do not put anything on Facebook or other social media regarding your collision and injury, as insurance investigators will attempt to use this against you. Ask your friends and family to not put anything on Facebook or any other social media site as well. If you have already put something on a social media site, immediately remove it.

Start keeping a daily journal of how you are feeling and ways you are being impacted, such as difficulty sleeping, going to the bathroom, showering, etc. Date and sign each page of your journal. This can be used by your lawyer to assist in your case.